Nashville and Murfreesboro TN
Are you noticing more ants than usual this time of year? Whether in your home or business, ants can be more than just a nuisance. Here at Ameri Care Services, we receive many calls daily about ants invading homes and business of Middle Tennessee. While ants typically aren’t much to worry about, sometimes they can become an issue if an infestation develops and is not treated properly.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common ants found in Nashville homes and businesses:
- Acrobat Ants: No, we aren’t talking about ants from the circus, but rather these ants walk while holding their lower abdomen over their head, which makes it look like a circus act. They are light brown to black in color and grow to a small 2.5 to 4 mm.
- Argentine Ants: These ants are prevalent in the southeast, and range from light to dark brown. They have a single node between the thorax and abdomen. The Argentine worker ants range in length up to about 3 mm.
- Carpenter Ants: These are some of the most popular ants here in Tennessee. They like to destroy wood, even if it is in your home or business. They are the largest of the common ants ranking at about 13 mm long. As they eat through wood, they create tunnels, which is a telltale sign of an infestation.
- Fire Ants: Just like their name says, they have a stinging bite. These little red ants have no interest in destroying wood and may be 3 to 5 mm long. They have two nodes between their thorax and abdomen.
- Little Black Ants: Just as the name says, these ants are little and black, about 1 to 2 mm in length. They appear shiny, and also have two nodes between their thorax and abdomen. These are the ants that typically invade homes or businesses looking for food and water. If you forgot to sweep the kitchen floor, these little guys would be all over the crumbs left behind in no time.
- Odorous House Ants: These ants do not eat wood, nor will they sting you. But, they can leave an unpleasant scent behind. They range in color from dark brown to black and have a bit of a beehive-shaped abdomen with a flat, almost hidden node between their thorax and abdomen. You will notice their unpleasant odor if you smash one. The worker ants may appear to be about 3 mm long.
If you are facing an ant problem in Nashville this fall, be sure to take measures to prevent the ants from returning. Keep your home clean, and do not leave dirty dishes in the sink or food crumbs on the floors or counters. Keep your pantry items properly sealed. Also, make sure that you do not have any rotting wood in your home or areas where moisture is a problem. If you keep firewood handy for fires, store it away from your home, not stacked up against the foundation as this attracts ants and other unwanted pests.
Nashville Pest Control
If you need to get rid of ants in Nashville, call the experts at Ameri Care Services at (615) 893-7111 to schedule a free consultation and estimate. We provide pest control services to homes and business in Nashville, Murfreesboro, and Mt. Juliet.