Nashville, Murfreesboro, Knoxville and Chattanooga TN
A continuously debated topic in the construction industry is the importance and usefulness of crawl spaces under homes. Although some feel that the crawl space is an absolute necessity in low-lying and coastal areas, other experts disagree and believe the crawl space is an added potential for maintenance.
Crawl spaces are notorious for developing moisture, and that will create additional issues that will need to be addressed in the future. One solution used for the complex situation in a crawl space is a sump pump, which is regarded as the most effective method for moisture control.
How do I know I need a sump pump for my crawl space?
Homeowners who have their home built over a crawl space must watch for any water leaking into the area. Water weighs approximately sixty pounds per cubic foot and can create hydrostatic water pressure, or the pressure of the water surrounding the crawl space, causing extensive damage to the walls and potentially the foundation of your home.
Some of the most common signs that a water leak is present in your crawl space include:
- A musty odor
- High humidity levels in your home
- Critters or bugs that are indoors
- Increase in respiratory infections in family members living in the home
- Increasing energy bills
When you see these signs, it is imperative that you contact a qualified crawl space waterproofing specialist in Nashville or Murfreesboro to assess and seek solutions to repair any damage incurred.
How does a sump pump solve the water problem?
A sump pump is one of the most common and best solutions for crawl space moisture problems. Unfortunately, not all building contractors agree with sump pump usage in crawl spaces and are often ignored as a solution to the water problem. However, it is a simple and effective technology that is growing in popularity with some contractors.
A sump pump is placed in the crawl space where it will collect the water that enters and will then be pumped away from your home.
Below are a few additional benefits that a sump pump will provide to keep your crawl space dry.
- Automatic Operation: There is no need to go into your crawl space to turn the pump on when there is moisture present. When the pump detects a pre-set water level breach, it will begin working automatically.
- Backup Ready: When purchasing and installing a sump pump unit, choose one that features a battery backup option. The battery backup will automatically start in the event of a power failure or if the primary one fails.
- Maximize Use of Space: If you choose to separate your crawl space area and use a portion for additional storage space, you will need to select a suitable vapor barrier for insulation.
Our specialists can assist you in determining the best waterproofing vapor barrier for your crawl space.
The moisture underneath your home can lead to multiple foundation issues, potentially causing substantial damage to your home. In addition to the physical issues caused by moisture, there is also the potential for mold and mildew to cause air quality concerns. So, when you notice signs of moisture in your crawl space, call the certified technicians at Ameri Care Services in Nashville and Murfreesboro at (615) 893-7111 for a consultation to see if a sump pump is the right answer for the moisture in your crawl space.