Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Nashville, TN
Excess moisture in a home can weaken a home’s structure, damage personal belongings, cause unpleasant odors and reduce air quality. A high level of moisture can cause mold growth which can lead to bacteria, cockroaches, and dust mites. This excess moisture can also cause the rotting of a home’s foundation and be the origin of asthma and allergies in the home’s inhabitants.
Moisture can originate from a number of outdoor sources as well as from the activities of those living in the home. Shown in the picture is the EZ BREATHE ventilation system. This can help in the reduction of odors, smells, and reduce humidity in the home as well as the crawl space.
Some outdoor sources include :
- Foundation drainage
- Below-grade walls
- Blocked exterior air circulation
- Water seepage through foundation brick and block to the crawl space or basement
Indoor sources include :
- Moisture from the crawl space
- Domestic activities
- House plants
- Air conditioners
- Damp Basements
Excess moisture within a home is not a hard problem to diagnose. There are numerous symptoms that can indicate that there is a high level of moisture within your home.
These include :
- Odors: higher humidity leads to the increase in indoor smells. Musty odors can be caused by mold, mildew and rot.
- Frost and ice on cold surfaces
- Damp feeling within the home
- Surface discoloration, staining and texture changing
- Deformed wood surfaces and wood decay
- Sweating pipes
- Peeling paint
- Chipping concrete
- Increased indoor humidity
It is important to diagnose excess moisture problems early to prevent further damage. Call us to perform a free inspection of your home if you think you have any of these warning signs.