Nashville, Murfreesboro, Knoxville and Chattanooga TN
Your crawlspace can play a prominent role in your home’s overall condition. Dry crawlspaces maintain structural integrity and reduce your unwanted pest risks. However, damp crawlspaces create optimum conditions for home damage and inviting space for harmful pests. Whether you have a leaking pipe above or below ground, torrential rains causing flooding, or high humidity, crawlspace moisture can cause home damage resulting in expensive repairs. Therefore, the Nashville crawlspace experts at Ameri Care Services explain why a damp crawlspace is a big deal and how you can protect your home from crawlspace water damage.
Should I be concerned with crawlspace moisture?
In short, yes. Moisture or water in your crawlspace changes your home’s conditions. For example, you may notice your floors feel cooler than usual and the emergence of a musty smell. In most cases, the damp air creates mold and mildew growth that can infiltrate your home, and your HVAC unit runs more often to remove excess moisture from the air. Murfreesboro crawlspace companies agree that uncovering the water source and remedying the problem can help control crawlspace moisture and protect your investment. Therefore, when you notice crawlspace dampness, feel free to investigate the situation to locate the source. If you’re unsure of the water source, contact Ameri Care Services to have an experienced technician examine your crawlspace.
Crawlspace Water Sources
Moisture can enter your crawlspace through your foundation walls, the ground, a leaking pipe, or from high humidity levels in the air. You may uncover one or multiple areas where water sneaks into your crawlspace. However, no matter how many water sources you find, swift action can help reduce the risk of damage. Our experienced crawlspace technicians in Nashville share various possible water sources in your crawlspace below.
- Water Pipes – Pipes that burst or leak in and around your crawlspace could cause crawlspace moisture. In some cases, the water evaporates and increases the air’s humidity level, leading to possible mold or mildew growth.
- Surface Water – Rainwater that runs down from your roof can end up in your crawlspace when you lack a proper drainage system or have lawn grading problems. In addition, surface water surrounding your foundation can easily find a crack or crevice to flow into your crawlspace.
- Humid Air – Tennessee summers are no joke when it comes to humidity levels. The hot, moist outdoor air entering the crawlspace may cause condensation to form on cold surfaces, increasing humidity.
Crawlspace Waterproofing Solutions
Preventing water from entering your crawlspace is the best way to keep your home safe and structurally sound. Therefore, Murfreesboro crawlspace waterproofing experts recommend one or more of the following solutions to keep your crawlspace dry.
- Encapsulation – Crawlspace encapsulation is one of a few effective waterproofing options. Our expert contractors cover your crawlspace walls and floors with a heavy-duty plastic, tear-proof vapor barrier to keep moisture from entering through the outside air or ground.
- Dehumidification – Humid outdoor air or evaporated groundwater moisture can trigger wood rot along with mold and mildew growth. Therefore, installing a dehumidifier helps reduce humidity levels, and the humidity goal is around 50 percent or less.
- Sump Pumps – Surface water can create crawlspace water problems when the rain is heavy. By installing a sump pump with a backup battery in the lowest crawlspace floor area, you can pump the water away from your home and stop it from collecting in your crawlspace.
- Repair Drainage Ways – Water that accumulates at your home’s base can potentially leak into your crawlspace. Therefore, repair defective gutters, drainage pipes, and runoffs to ensure they effectively flow away from your home.
Crawlspaces in Nashville and Murfreesboro, TN
Crawlspace dampness may not seem like a critical problem. However, when a water presence remains untreated, you could experience severe damages to your home that require expensive repairs. Avoid wood rot, pests, mold, and mildew complications when you address crawlspace moisture. Feel free to contact the Nashville crawlspace contractors at Ameri Care Services by calling (615) 893-7111 or contact us online to schedule a consultation or find out more about crawlspace waterproofing.