Nashville, Murfreesboro, Knoxville and Chattanooga TN
Homeowners worldwide share the same concern about their basement or crawlspace when it comes to excess moisture. As the space beneath your home becomes wet, moisture can cause additional structural and air quality concerns for your home. Therefore, your professional waterproofing experts in Nashville at Ameri Care share why basements and crawlspaces are susceptible to water damage and what you can do to protect your home.
Potential Causes of Water Damage
- Heavy Rains – Homes located in low-lying flood-prone areas may suffer from water damage during bouts of heavy rains. The pressure created by the water against your foundation can cause small cracks and crevices where water can enter your basement or crawlspace.
- Soil Settlement – Most often seen in new construction homes, soil settlement can cause water leakage in your basement or crawlspace. As the soil compacts, it can make it easier for more water pressure to build against your home’s foundational walls resulting in small cracks and leaks.
- Footing Drains – The footing drains steer water away from your home. However, the drains can become clogged with debris or dirt, resulting in back-up and excess water in your basement or crawlspace.
- Hydrostatic Pressure – Large amounts of water that gather near your home’s foundation pushes on the walls causing them to bow or crack is hydrostatic pressure. As the pressure builds and cracks begin to form, you could experience more significant damage the next time heavy rains are in the forecast.
Water Damage Signs
Water detection can be simple if you know the signs. Spotting chalky white substances on your walls, or efflorescence, may signify the presence of water as the substance emits through the porous material. In addition to efflorescence, you may notice signs of condensation. From water droplets on metal pipes or ductwork to mold or mildew growth, condensation is a direct result of too much moisture or high levels of humidity in your basement or crawlspace. Lastly, damp walls and leaky cove joints may indicate that your home is a victim of water damage.
Protecting Your Home
There are ways you can protect your home from additional water damage and help reduce expensive repairs.
Below are a few of the services your Murfreesboro basement waterproofing company, Ameri Care, offers.
- Mold Services – Moisture plus darkness and warmth equals mold and mildew growth. Mold and mildew can grow within 24-48 hours of moisture being present. The presence of mold and mildew can affect the air quality in your home and result in additional health concerns. Ameri Care advises homeowners to repair the source of moisture to prevent future mold and mildew growth.
- Basement Waterproofing – A dry basement begins with proper external drainage of water from your home. An Ameri Care technician can locate areas where excessive water may be standing that contributes to your basement moisture problem. Adding exterior water barriers and internal proper drainage systems like a sump pump, you can have a dry basement year-round.
- Crawlspace Waterproofing – Water left standing near the foundation of your home may find a way to enter your crawlspace. Encapsulating your crawlspace with a vapor barrier will not only decrease excess moisture under your home but could help prevent pests as well.
- Dehumidifiers – Purchasing a dehumidifier from your local retailer may seem like a good idea to keep moisture out of your basement or crawlspace. However, smaller units are often inefficient at removing moisture resulting in the need to work longer and harder to keep up with moisture demands. However, your Nashville crawlspace waterproofing company can recommend a unit specifically designed for your needs that can use less electricity and remove more water from the air than other competitive units.
Basement and Crawlspace Waterproofing in Nashville and Murfreesboro, TN
A damp, musty basement or crawlspace below your home may lead to structural damage requiring expensive repairs. To prevent mold and mildew growth or slow wood rot, reducing the amount of moisture in your basement or crawlspace is necessary. To find out how much crawlspace encapsulation costs in Murfreesboro, or what type of dehumidifier is right for your basement, contact Ameri Care today. Protect the investment you have in your home by calling the basement and crawlspace waterproofing specialists in Nashville from Ameri Care by calling (615) 893-7111 or contact us online to schedule an evaluation today.